StopTheMadness Release Notes:
iOS App Store
January 26 2023
- New website options: (1) Force all links into the same tab and (2) Force all links into new tabs. These are added to a popup menu along with Force external links into the same tab and Force external links into new tabs.
- Protect all key presses (on iPad): Separated into options (1) Protect escape key and (2) Protect other keys
- Hide app banners: Fixed an issue with Request Desktop Website where the Sign in with Google banner could interfere with clicks even when hidden
- Stop autoplaying videos: Stop the video from following you down the page on
- Bypass link shorteners: Bypass YouTube redirects
- Bypass link shorteners: Now applies to the contextual menu
January 11 2023
- Fonts, CSS, and JS in site-specific options now can both be customized and also use the default options.
- Fixed a minor bug with the new website option "Stop new windows".
- Fixed an inadvertent error in the web inspector console log.
January 9 2023
- New feature: Allow fonts and custom elements for site-specific website options to use the default options for all sites! This makes it easier to use the same fonts, CSS, or JS on all websites.
- New website option: Stop new windows! This stops websites from using the window.open() API to a open new window or tab, for example to send you to an advertiser's page.
- New website option: Protect all links! This stops all clickjacking, covering cases not already covered by Protect 2-finger click and Stop link trackers.
- Hide some app banners: Now hides "Sign in with Google" banners on all sites and Google Doodles on Google Search. Also fixes hiding "Give feedback on these results?" on Google Search.
- Stop autoplaying videos: Stop the video from following you down the page on CNET.
- Bypass link unshorteners: Bypass Twitter censorship of outbound links, such as to Mastodon.
- Bypass link unshorteners: Bypass click.redditmail.com URLs.
- Show video controls: Fixed an incompatibility on Reddit.
- Redirects: Fixed an issue where an empty Replacement for an enabled redirect could cause a redirect loop.
December 13 2022
- Hide the See Reddit in Reddit App banner.
- Fixed an issue on Reddit where links in some comments couldn't be opened.
- Hide the Mature content banner on Reddit.
- Hide the Sign in to Google banner on the desktop version of Google Search.
December 12 2022
- Font replacements: Added popups to allow easy selection of font styles and system fonts.
- Stop link trackers: Remove the new Facebook mibextid URL parameter.
- Bypass link shorteners: Bypass TLDR tracking.tldrnewsletter.com URLs.
- Show a release notes link on the first launch of a new update. You can opt out of this.
- Redirect rules: Prevent a possible loop from a Replacement rule that specifies a subpath of the URL Matching pattern.
- Stop autoplaying videos: Fixed an incompatibility with mubi.com
- Minor user interface improvements.
- Fixed a conflict with the StopTheScript extension that could affect the website options Hide some app banners and Stop keyboard page zoom.
November 19 2022
Fixed iCloud import error "Invalid settings."
November 14 2022
New feature: Font replacement!
Easily substitute one font for another on web pages.
- Hide some app banners: Hide the Google Single Sign-On banner on Reddit with Request Desktop Website.
- Add Custom Elements to iframes in addition to the main frame.
- Custom style elements: Fixed problems with strict Content Security Policy.
- Renamed the website option Protect ⌘-click to Protect 2-finger click, enabled it by default, and moved it to the Recommended section.
- Hide the keyboard-related website options on iPhone.
- Added website options from the desktop extension: Protect all clicks, Protect all key presses, Protect focus and blur, Protect option-key shortcuts.
November 4 2022
- Hide some app banners: Fixed many annoyances on Reddit, such as scroll lock, NSFW popups, and Single Sign On popups
- Show video controls: Fixed the video covering up the search popup on YouTube with Request Desktop Website
October 31 2022
- Show video controls: Fixed a WebKit quirk with Request Desktop Website on www.youtube.com
- Stop autoplay videos: Stops the video player from following you down the page on independent.co.uk
- Custom URL redirects: Fixed a bug where an edit was not saved when the popup was closed
October 24 2022
- New checkbox at the top of the popup to quickly disable and enable the entire extension
- Show video controls: Fixed an issue where a site's Content Security Policy could block a YouTube embed
- Force external links into current tab: Fixed on eBay
- Other minor improvements and fixes
September 29 2022
Automatically select the highest video quality on YouTube!
- "Stop autoplaying videos" fix on Metacritic
- "Show video controls" fixes for YouTube videos embedded on other sites
- "Protect drag and drop" compatibility improvement
September 21 2022
"Stop autoplaying videos" changes:
- Fast-forward video ads on youtube-nocookie.com as well as youtube.com
- Stop videos from following you down the page on Ars Technica and CNN
- Fixed incompatibility with twitter.com
- Hide app banners on Google Maps
- "Show video controls" fixes and improvements
- Fixed a bug where closing the extension popup didn't save a custom elements change
- Minor improvements to iCloud export and import
September 2 2022
Fixed a bug in "Stop link trackers" where tracking tags were not always removed from Twitter URLs.
September 1 2022
- Removes all tracking tags from the end of Twitter tweet URLs
- Removes all tracking tags when using "Copy link to Tweet" on Twitter
- Removes ref= tags from Amazon URLs
- Improved compatibility with website Content-Security-Policy
- Added pinterest.com to "Hide some app banners"
- Fixed a bug in the extension popup where the custom style and script element fields might not be filled after duplicating website options.
August 14 2022
- Fixed an issue on google.com where link titles could appear in bold font
- Fixed "Stop link trackers" issue on google.com with Request Desktop Website
- Hides "Give feedback on these results?" on google.com
- Stops more autoplaying video players: SendToNews, MoatAds, and dailymail.co.uk
- Show video controls improvement
- Improved handling of the Shadow DOM
August 1 2022
Stop autoplaying videos improvements:
- Stops videos from following you down the page when you scroll on many websites!
- YouTube ads automatically fast-forwarded!
- Removes MP4 posters from videos in Safari, because posters can autoplay too.
Show video controls improvements:
- You can move the "Show video controls" switch to the top of the popup for quick access!
- Shows "Skip Ad" button on YouTube when available.
- Loop videos are excluded from "Show video controls" by default, because background videos can take over the page. A new website option "Include loops" lets you include loop videos.
- Improved compatibility on cnn.com and iphoneincanada.com
- New "Stop keyboard page zoom" website option. Stop the page from zooming in when you open the software keyboard!
- quora.com added to "Hide some app banners". The quora login prompt is hidden too!
- Bypass AMP "links and viewer" bypasses the AMP viewer only if there's a single iframe on the page. This should stop some unexpected redirects while browsing Google search results.
- "Stop link trackers" removes the __cft__, __tn__, and _fb_noscript URL parameters.
July 4 2022
- Improved "Bring images to the front"
- Moved some options in the extension popup from "Use with caution" to "Widespread breakage" because of website incompatibilities
- Improved "Show native video controls"
- Improved "Protect text selection"
June 1 2022
- Improved "Bring images to the front".
- Enable contextual menu on Flickr images.
- Fixed an issue where a YouTube video was played muted when clicked from the YouTube front page.
- Fixed a "Bypass AMP" redirect loop on some WordPress sites.
May 2 2022
New feature: Custom URL redirects!
Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc.
You can create any redirect that you want!
- It's now easier to start playing embedded YouTube videos with "Stop autoplaying videos".
- Added igshid, ref_src, and ref_url to the URL tracking parameters removed by "Stop link trackers".
- When duplicating website options, custom CSS and JS elements are now also duplicated.
- Allow paste of 2FA codes on the App Store Connect login page.
April 4 2022
- Show native video controls improvements on many sites.
- Added IMDb to Hide some app banners.
- Added cid, c_id, itm_, mbid, and mc_tc to URL tracking parameters removed by Stop link trackers.
- Improved error message text for iCloud export and import network problems.
- Fixed an incompatibility issue with the Dark Reader extension.
- Other minor fixes and improvements.
March 13 2022
Fixed an issue where iCloud import of settings was slow or never finished.
March 10 2022
- iCloud export and import of StopTheMadness settings from Safari! Now it's easy to set up a new device. You can even share between the Mobile and Mac versions of StopTheMadness.
- The extension popup now has New and Duplicate buttons to make it easier to add URL-specific website options. The New button disables all website options, and the Duplicate button duplicates the currently selected website options.
- Reddit NSFW page popups and filters are now hidden by Hide some app banners.
- Mailchimp list-manage.com and Google goo.gl have been added to Bypass link shorteners.
January 26 2022
- Fixed a bug where URL-specific options created with a path at the end failed to match web pages with a URL query after the path.
- Sort the URL-specific options alphabetically in the popup list.
January 17 2022
- Improvement to app banner hiding on Google.
- Stop video autoplay ignores fake non-user clicks.
- Custom style elements don't wait for DOMContentLoaded to load.
- Custom elements load only in the top frame.
- Fixed a bug where custom elements were not removed immediately when deleting website options.
- Fixed a Bypass link shorteners bug with links in an iframe.
January 10 2022
- Improved app banner hiding on Google.
- Removes even more URL tracking parameters.
- The custom style element and custom script element areas in the StopTheMadness popup now automatically import from a CSS or JS file in the current Safari tab. This allows you to easily add user scripts from sites such as Greasy Fork.
- Protect text selection fixed on Medium when using iPad and trackpad.
- Protect drag and drop fixed on You Need A Budget.
December 28 2021
- New feature: Site-specific CSS and JS! Add your own custom style and script elements to web pages. This gives you limitless possibilities for customizing the web!
- Fixed app banner hiding on Google.
- Show native video controls improvements on AniMixPlay and other sites. Also stops sites from disabling Picture-in-Picture.
- Fixed a bug where new URL-specific website options could not be added after around 20.
- The new URL-specific website options field no longer autocapitalizes.