June 1 2023
- Fixed breakage of IDBObjectStore.put() in web apps.
- Stop repeating timers: No longer allows the timer to run the first time if the interval is longer than 5 seconds.
- Hide Page Element: Fixed an issue where the element selection dialog could bypass Stop autoplaying videos.
- Stop scroll to text fragment: Fixed visual clipping of the website option in Safari Mac on non-retina displays.
May 30 2023
- New feature: Hide Page Element. Allows easy selection of elements on web pages to hide permanently.
- New website option: Stop scroll to text fragment. Stops links from automatically highlighting text when the page loads.
- New website option: Stop repeating timers. Stops web pages from updating themselves while they're open.
- New website option: Protect private windows. Stops the web page from detecting that you're viewing it in a Safari private window.
- Video speed: Setting the speed on YouTube no longer requires the "Fixed speed" option
- Video speed: The stepper interval has been increased from 0.1 to 0.5
- Protect textareas: Fixed a bug where the option couldn't be changed in Chrome and Firefox
- Stop autoplaying videos: Stops the video from following you down the page on rollingstone.com
May 19 2023
- New website option: Video speed! Set the playback speed of web videos. Speed them up, or slow them down.
- New website option: Show Picture-in-Picture button on YouTube! This also hides the YouTube Miniplayer button.
- New website options: Add contextual menu items for the Show video controls and Video Highlight features!
- New keyboard shortcut: control-command-v to toggle Show video controls!
- The keyboard shortcut to toggle Video Highlight has changed to shift-command-v.
- YouTube video quality: In addition to the highest available quality, a whole range of specific video quality options have been added, from 8K down to 144p.
- Skip YouTube video ads is now a separate website option, no longer part of Stop autoplaying videos.
- Stop autoplaying videos: Fixed an issue where YouTube ads could pause the video in the middle.
- Stop autoplaying videos: Stop videos from following you down the page on tomsguide.com and dailymail.co.uk.
- Show video controls: No longer covers up the popup menus in the upper right corner when you're logged into YouTube.
- Force links into the same tab: Fixed on etsy.com.
- Shadow DOM: Protect text selection and Stop autosubmit of autofilled forms now work in the shadow DOM.
- Stop link trackers: Added "gbraid", "wbraid", "s_cid", and "yclid" to URL parameters automatically removed. "linkId" is no longer removed, because that broke some links.
- The website options in the extension popup have been rearranged for clarity.
April 19 2023
- Fixed a bug where iCloud export from iOS to Mac could overwrite the "Open Link with" setting.
- Added an informational note that iCloud Drive must be enabled to use iCloud export.
- Show video controls no longer covers up subtitles on YouTube.
- Show video controls no longer covers up the YouTube left sidebar.
- Stop link trackers: The "cid" URL parameter is now removed only if the URL is to an external website, because "cid" is sometimes used for non-tracking purposes.
April 17 2023
- Now requires macOS 11 Big Sur or later
- Moved the settings from the Contextual Menus tab of the Safari extension popup into the Website Options tab
- New website options under New Tab Behavior: Open external links with… and Open all links with…
These website options allow you to open clicked links automatically in another app!
- Bypass link shorteners: Added googleadservices.com
- Stop link trackers: Stop the redirect page when clicking googleadservices.com links on Google Search
- Stop autoplaying videos: Improvements on knowyourmeme.com
- Protect autocomplete: Fixed an incompatibility with costco.com forms
- Added a Little Snitch internet access policy
March 14 2023
- New website option: Protect contextual menus only when the option key is pressed. This was previously in the Contextual Menu tab in the Safari extension. Now it's available in Firefox and Google Chrome too.
- New website option: Protect return key. This is now separate from "Protect other keys".
- Video Highlight: Added the keyboard shortcut option-command-v.
- Stop autoplaying videos: Stop the video from following you down the page on Yahoo Sports.
- Show video controls: Fixed a bug where the video covered up the YouTube Share popup.
- Show video controls: Allow volume changes on sites that prevent it.
- Fixed a bug where Scheme Rules and Web Rules were not applied after Redirects.
- Force links into same tab: Fixed on www.yodobashi.com.
- Shadow DOM: Fixed an incompatibility with Home Assistant add-ons.
February 23 2023
- New feature: Video Highlight. Press a button to hide everything on a web page except the video! Use this as a supplement to or replacement for the website option Show video controls.
- Stop autoplaying videos: Stop the video from following you down the page on ABC News, KTLA, Corriere Della Sera, and Gawker sites such as Gizmodo.
- Font replacements: Fixed an issue on YouTube Music (music.youtube.com).
- Bypass link shorteners: No longer bypasses apple.news, because Safari now lets you choose whether to open in News or Safari.
- Stop link trackers: Adopted some features of Bypass link shorteners that don't require a separate connection, such as extracting a redirect from URL parameters. This brings those features to the Chrome and Firefox extensions.
- Stop new windows: Fixed a timing issue on one site.
January 26 2023
- New website options: (1) Force all links into the same tab and (2) Force all links into new tabs. These are added to a popup menu along with Force external links into the same tab and Force external links into new tabs.
- Protect all key presses: Separated into options (1) Protect escape key and (2) Protect other keys
- Hide app banners: Fixed an issue where the Sign in with Google banner could interfere with clicks even when hidden
- Stop autoplaying videos: Stop the video from following you down the page on
- Bypass link shorteners: Bypass YouTube redirects
- Bypass link shorteners: Now applies to the contextual menu
January 11 2023
- Fonts, CSS, and JS in site-specific options now can both be customized and also use the default options.
- Fixed a minor bug with the new website option "Stop new windows".
- Fixed an inadvertent error in the web inspector console log.
- Fixed a bug in the Chrome and Firefox extension popups where "Protect all mouse clicks" didn't show the correct value.
January 9 2023
- New website option: Hide some banners! This brings "Hide some app banners" from the iOS version. Hides many Google-related banners such as "Sign in with Google" on all sites, the YouTube Premium banner, and Google Doodles and "Google recommends using Google Chrome" on Google Search.
- New feature: Allow fonts and custom elements for site-specific website options to use the default options for all sites! This makes it easier to use the same fonts, CSS, or JS on all websites.
- New website option: Stop new windows! This stops websites from using the window.open() API to open a new window or tab, for example to send you to an advertiser's page.
- New website option: Protect all links! This stops all clickjacking, covering cases not already covered by Protect ⌘-click and Stop link trackers.
- Stop autoplaying videos: Stop the video from following you down the page on CNET.
- Bypass link unshorteners: Bypass Twitter censorship of outbound links, such as to Mastodon.
- Bypass link unshorteners: Bypass click.redditmail.com URLs.
- Show video controls: Fixed an incompatibility on Reddit.
- Protect option-key shortcuts: Moved into the Recommended options and enabled by default.
- Redirects: Fixed an issue where an empty Replacement for an enabled redirect could cause a redirect loop.
- Protect ⌘-click: Fixed an issue on kanopy.com with movie tiles.
- Fonts: Removed the system font options from the popups in the Chrome and Firefox extensions. These options never worked.
December 12 2022
- Font replacements: Added popups to allow easy selection of font styles and system fonts.
- Stop link trackers: Remove the new Facebook mibextid URL parameter.
- Bypass link shorteners: Bypass TLDR tracking.tldrnewsletter.com URLs.
- Show a release notes link on the first launch of a new update. You can opt out of this.
- Redirect rules: Prevent a possible loop from a Replacement rule that specifies a subpath of the URL Matching pattern.
- Stop autoplaying videos: Fixed an incompatibility with mubi.com
- Minor user interface improvements.
- Fixed the iCloud error "Invalid settings" when importing from iOS after the "Extension enabled" checkbox had been toggled.
November 14 2022
New feature: Font replacement!
Easily substitute one font for another on web pages.
- Stop autoplay videos: Stops the video player from following you down the page on independent.co.uk.
- Show video controls: Fixed the video covering up the search popup on YouTube.
- Add Custom Elements to iframes in addition to the main frame.
- Custom style elements: Fixed problems with strict Content Security Policy.
- Fixed a bug where the Safari extension toolbar label could be wrong when disabling and enabling the extension.
- Fixed Chrome and Firefox extension document.write() handling.
- Simplified Firefox add-on installation.
October 25 2022
- New checkbox at the top of the popup to quickly disable and enable the entire extension
- Show video controls: Fixed an issue on YouTube where the video could cover up the Share popup
- Force external links into current tab: Fixed on eBay
- Protect text selection: Fixed on Medium sites that don't have a medium.com domain
- Protect autocomplete: Fixed AutoFill on TreasuryDirect.gov
- Fixed workflowy.com compatibility with "Protect ⌘-click" and "Stop link trackers"
- Allow "Force external links into new tab" to be more conveniently toggled off and on in Safari
- Added tooltips to the extension popup in Chrome and Firefox
- Other minor improvements and fixes
September 27 2022
Automatically select the highest video quality on YouTube!
"Stop autoplaying videos" changes:
- Fast-forward video ads on youtube-nocookie.com as well as youtube.com
- Stop videos from following you down the page on Ars Technica and CNN
- Fixed incompatibility on Twitter and Metacritic
- "Show video controls" fixes and improvements
- You can now import extension settings to Chrome and Firefox from Safari on Mac!
- "Protect drag and drop" compatibility improvement
- Fixed a bug in Chrome and Firefox where a custom elements change wasn't immediately reflected in open web pages when the extension popup was closed
- Minor improvements to iCloud export and import
September 1 2022
Fixed a bug in "Stop link trackers" where tracking tags were not always removed from Twitter URLs.
August 30 2022
- Stops more autoplaying video players: SendToNews, MoatAds, and dailymail.co.uk
- Stops arrow and other control keys from triggering video autoplay
- Show video controls improvement
- Removes all tracking tags from the end of Twitter tweet URLs
- Removes all tracking tags when using "Copy link to Tweet" on Twitter
- Removes ref= tags from Amazon URLs
- Improved compatibility with website Content-Security-Policy
- Improved handling of the Shadow DOM
- Check "Web Rules" before checking "Stop link trackers", rather than afterwards.
- Simplified the install window: now there's one button for all Chromium browsers
August 2 2022
Stop autoplaying videos improvements:
- Stops videos from following you down the page when you scroll on many websites!
- YouTube ads automatically fast-forwarded!
- Removes MP4 posters from videos in Safari, because posters can autoplay too.
Show video controls improvements:
- Shows "Skip Ad" button on YouTube when available.
- Loop videos are excluded from "Show video controls" by default, because background videos can take over the page. A new website option "Include loops" lets you include loop videos.
- Improved compatibility on cnn.com and iphoneincanada.com
- "Stop link trackers" removes the __cft__, __tn__, and _fb_noscript URL parameters.
- The install instructions have been made clearer.
July 4 2022
- Improved "Bring images to the front" and moved the option in the extension popup from "Use with caution" to "Widespread breakage" because of website incompatibilities
- Improved "Show native video controls"
- Improved "Protect text selection"
- Fixed "Stop autoplay videos" on msn.com
- Fixed a bug on macOS 10.13 High Sierra that caused the Replacement field to disappear in the Redirects tab of the Safari extension popup
June 1 2022
- Improved "Bring images to the front".
- Enable contextual menu on Flickr images.
- Fixed an issue where a YouTube video was played muted when clicked from the YouTube front page.
May 2 2022
New feature: Custom URL redirects!
Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc.
You can create any redirect that you want!
- It's now easier to start playing embedded YouTube videos with "Stop autoplaying videos".
- Added igshid, ref_src, and ref_url to the URL tracking parameters removed by "Stop link trackers".
- When duplicating website options, custom CSS and JS elements are now also duplicated.
- Allow paste of 2FA codes on the App Store Connect login page.
- Fixed a bug with removing URL tracking parameters in Firefox.
April 4 2022
- New setting in Web URL Rules to handle non-clicked URLs too! Now Web URLs can handle all links loaded in Safari, not just links clicked in the web page!
- New setting in Context Menu tab to Protect contextual menus only when the option key is pressed! This setting reverses the behavior of the Protect contextual menus website option: it's activated when the option key is pressed, instead of deactivated when the option key is pressed. The new setting improves compatibility with other Safari extensions that have special contextual menu items.
- Show native video controls improvements on many sites.
- Added cid, c_id, itm_, mbid, and mc_tc to URL tracking parameters removed by Stop link trackers.
- When you open the extension popup, the website options for the active tab are automatically selected.
- When you create new customized website options, the URL of the active tab is autofilled.
- Fixed an issue where iCloud import of settings could be slow or never finish.
- Improved error message text for iCloud export and import network problems.
- Fixed an incompatibility issue with the Dark Reader extension.
- Fixed a bug with Protect all mouse clicks where it didn't automatically remove tracking tags when opening the contextual menu.
- Moved the Protect mouse movement website option to the "Widespread breakage" section. It's recommended for use only on specific sites where needed.
- Moved the Safari style sheet website option to the Custom Elements tab. The feature has been superseded by Custom Elements CSS.
- Other minor fixes and improvements.
March 10 2022
- iCloud export and import of StopTheMadness settings from Safari! Now it's easy to set up a new device. You can even share between the Mac and Mobile versions of StopTheMadness.
- Mailchimp list-manage.com and Google goo.gl have been added to Bypass link shorteners.
- Fixed a bug where Hover shortcuts could accidentally get triggered from a text field.
- Fixed a bug where Custom Elements edits could get lost when switching tabs in the Safari popup.
- Fixed a bug where Protect all mouse clicks didn't protect the click event.
- Firefox: Improved the interface for adding URL-specific website options.
January 26 2022
Fixed a bug where customized website options created with a URL path at the end failed to match web pages with a URL query after the path.
January 17 2022
- New feature: Site-specific CSS and JS! Add your own custom style and script elements to web pages. This gives you limitless possibilities for customizing the web!
- New website option: Protect option-key shortcuts!
- Show native video controls improvements on AniMixPlay and other sites. Also stops sites from disabling Picture-in-Picture.
- Removes even more URL tracking parameters.
- Protect drag and drop fixed on You Need A Budget.
- Fixed a Bypass link shorteners bug with links in an iframe.